Turn in Applications to:



School Nutrition Services
Main Office

519 Ward Blvd. Bldg 7A
Wilson, NC 27895

One Application per household please... 


Meal Applications

Families may apply by paper application, available at your student's school or at the School Nutrition Office, or online at www.lunchapplication.com


Whom do I call for assistance?

Debra Foster, Meal Application Specialist
(252) 399-7849


Meal Application FAQ


When can I complete a meal application?
After August 1 of each year, you may apply for the upcoming school year. The forms will be available at your child’s school or at the main Child Nutrition office.

Do I have to complete a meal application each year?
Yes. The federal guidelines require a new application each year.

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?
You only need to complete one (1) application form for all students in your household.

Can I complete an application by phone or fax the application?
Unfortunately, no. All applications must be submitted to the Child Nutrition office on a current school year form with the original parent/guardian signature.

On the first school day, will my child’s free and reduced meal status be the same as the previous school year?
Yes. For the first 30 days of the school year, your child is eligible to maintain the status from the previous school year. If you submit a new application before the first 30 days of the new school year have passed, your child’s status will be updated to reflect the new application. If you do not submit a new application and the first 30 days of the school year have passed, the benefits for your child will be automatically eliminated.

How long does it take to process a completed application?
We are required to process the application within ten working days; however, our goal is to process applications as quickly as possible. Once the form is received in our main Child Nutrition office, the application will be date stamped, reviewed and then entered into our computers. Any errors or missing information on the application will cause a delay in processing so make sure you have accurately completed the form.

If I do not qualify now, may I apply later?
Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start receiving Food and Nutrition Services (FNS, formerly Food Stamps) or getting TANF or other benefits. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals.


What is direct certification?
Under direct certification, school districts use information from State welfare or food stamp offices to certify children to receive free meals. To qualify, the children's families must receive food stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families or assistance from the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations. The purpose of direct certification is designed primarily to improve National School Lunch Program access and administrative efficiency.

How do I know if my child is directly certified?
Only if you received a letter from our Child Nutrition main office stating your child has been directly certified for free meals. If you received a letter, you do not have to complete an application form.

Will the information I give be checked?
Yes, you may be asked to send written proof of your household income, size and any other requested documents. On an annual basis, we are required by federal regulations to randomly pull 3% of the approved free and reduced applications and request documentation from the parents/ guardians.

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
Yes. You or your child do not have to be a US citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

We are in the military.   Do we include our housing allowance as income?
If your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. All other allowances must be included in your gross income.


My spouse is deployed to a combat zoneIs his/her combat pay counted as income? 
No, if the combat pay is received in addition to his/her basic pay because of his/ her deployment and it wasn’t received before being deployed, combat pay is not counted as income.


What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?
We ask that you first speak with the Meal Application Specialist at (252) 399-7849. If you are still not satisfied with the decision, you may then ask for a hearing by calling (252) 399-7741 or writing to: Dr. Ben William, Assistant Superintendent Administrative Services, PO Box 2048, Wilson, NC 27894.